Job Posting: Quality Control Microbiologist II / III
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
The primary function or purpose of this position is to complete a wide variety of moderately complex microbiology and molecular testing procedures within the production quality control laboratory. This job has several in-depth responsibilities and is a leadership role in the laboratory. This position requires some guidance from a manager but is fairly independent.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity
- Responsible for compliance with the HACCP, FSMA and GMP programs.
- Collaborate with production and sales groups to identify problems or opportunities for continuous improvements
- Leads projects with various team members contributing
- Present work to external and internal customers
- Plans and develops detailed experimental projects with Manager
- Develop, evaluate and implement new or revised protocols
- Prioritizes time to maintain projects deadline and products analysis turnaround
- Draw conclusions and makes recommendations to Management based on test results
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity.
- Perform related work and other duties, as assigned.
- Stays current with relevant scientific literature
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological science
- Broad knowledge involving laboratory techniques or other specialized knowledge is desired, especially in food testing.
Relevant Job Experience
- 5+ years microbiology testing laboratory experience in a commercial laboratory, preferably in the food or beverage industry
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge
- Knowledge of effective and safe laboratory and experimental procedures
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents
- Knowledge of microbiology techniques, terminology, equipment, and supplies.
- Requires strong analytical ability to handle data and results
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities
- Champion of our cultural values
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions effectively
- Ability to maintain records accurately
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to operate a personal computer with capabilities to utilize Microsoft Office and Outlook
- HACCP training not required but is beneficial
- Ability to work around chemicals, including enzymes
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally
Typical Work Environment
- This position requires working in both an office, production floor, and a laboratory setting.
- Some job responsibilities require using chemicals, high-pressure laboratory systems, biological materials, and toxic chemicals.
Culture Index Survey
In order to be considered for any position at MDG, we ask that you complete a Culture Index Survey. This survey helps with the process of finding great people who are a mutual fit. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered.
Other Key Resources
- MDG Facility Tour
- HACCP Food Grade Certification
- Under the Microscope: Katie Pernic
- Under the Microscope: Nicole DeGeorge