- June 8, 2021
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
Microbial Discovery Group (MDG) is an R&D driven microbial cultivation and fermentation company. MDG provides bioaugmentation products and solutions for a multitude of industries, excelling in new product innovation, customer focused manufacturing and technical support expertise.
MDG is currently looking for a highly motivated, early career scientist to become a member of our Research and Development team. The candidate must possess a strong foundation in microbiology, molecular biology, and/or computational biology. This is predominantly a lab-based role focusing on fundamental research to better understand the biology of our Bacillus and other microbial organisms.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Performs a variety of microbiological and molecular assays for testing needs
- Ideally, this position will evolve into R&D project management, and the successful candidate would possess and desire the ability to lead projects and teams
- Designs and executes experiments – ranging from defined protocols to assay development and innovation
- Analyzes data, formulate conclusions, and determines future experiments
- The successful candidate will possess high problem solving and critical thinking skills pertaining to research troubleshooting and project development
- Communicates projects with collaborative teams and managers
- Presents work to colleagues, customers, and at conferences
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity
- Assists in managing the daily workflow of the laboratory
- Perform related work and other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field or equivalent professional experience
- Functional and applied knowledge involving laboratory techniques or other specialized knowledge is desired
Minimum Relevant Job Experience:
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 1+ year) or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- In some cases, an equivalency, consisting of a combination of appropriate education, training and/or directly related experience, will be considered sufficient for an individual to meet the requirements of the role.
Preferred Relevant Job Experience:
- Applied and functional knowledge of specialized skillsets such as; cell culture, immunological biomarkers, HPLC, MS-GC, or flow cytometry.
- Previous experience and safety knowledge working with a range of microbial organisms, such as bacteria, yeast, and fungi.
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of effective and safe laboratory and experimental procedures
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents
- Knowledge of microbiology techniques, terminology, equipment and supplies.
- Requires strong analytical ability to handle data and results
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Champion of our cultural values
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions effectively
- Ability to maintain records accurately
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to operate a personal computer with capabilities to utilize Microsoft Office and Outlook
Physical & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to work around chemicals, including enzymes
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
- Wear proper safety/protective equipment, as required
Culture Index Survey
To apply for a position, please click the “apply” button below and follow instructions to apply through Indeed, please then also copy and paste the link below to apply directly to our website application process. This will also include taking the culture index survey. The culture index survey helps with the process of finding great people. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered. Thank you for your consideration.