Maintenance Technician I
- January 13, 2023
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
MDG is an R&D driven microbial cultivation and fermentation company. MDG provides bioaugmentation products and solutions for a multitude of industries. Microbial Discovery Group excels in new product innovation, customer focused manufacturing and technical support expertise.
The Maintenance Technician I is “hands-on”, has excellent diagnostic skills, can keep things running smoothly, work with contractors for maintenance tasks that are outside of core skill sets, develop a Preventive Maintenance (PM) plan, establish and maintain a spare parts inventory, and be an integral part of the team that plans and builds the next round of expansion. The work is fun, full of variety, and challenging.
- Although the focus of the Maintenance Technician will primarily the maintenance of the fermentation and blending operations, other duties will be shared as determined by the Plant Engineer. The expanded list of responsibilities is as follows:
- Ensures the proper operation of the following plant equipment:
- Bioreactors (fermentation vessels)
- Refrigeration Equipment
- Freeze Dryers
- Spray Dryers
- Make-up air units
- Air Compressors
- Back-up generator
- Pin Mills / Comils
- Troubleshoots and isolates equipment problems (mechanical and electrical)
- Implements repairs while minimizing impact to production
- Establishes and adheres to preventive maintenance schedule using web based preventative maintenance software.
- Documents all maintenance and repair activities
- Establish and maintain a spare parts inventory
- Support for non-routine work hours
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned
Quality and Food Safety:
- Work closely with Quality Control (QC) Department to assure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Responsible for compliance with maintaining facility cleanliness, post maintenance cleaning, and preventative maintenance.
- Responsible for accurate documentation on all records.
Typical Work Environment:
- Regularly required to sit or stand and move about the facility
- Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, fumes, heat and odors
- Production environment is not temperature controlled and exposure to hot and cold working conditions is to be expected.
- 2 year degree or certificate in Industrial Maintenance Technician or similar program
- 0-5 years of experience in installing and maintaining plant floor mechanical and electrical systems
Relevant Job Experience:
- Manufacturing, fermentation or chemical product operations experience highly desirable
- Expertise with biotechnology operations including fermentation and CIP/SIP is preferred
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Experience with industrial equipment such as steam generators, refrigeration, and air compressors
- Knowledge of industrial components and instrumentation
- Must be able to interpret and understand technical documents such as P&ID’s, Equipment Lists, Logic Diagrams, and Schematics.
- Knowledge of industrial computer systems, PLC’s, HMl’s, motor controls, and power technologies
- Knowledge of bioreactors, centrifuges, and freeze dryers operations is desired
- AutoCAD familiarity
- PLC/HMI programming experience a bonus
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Keen troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Demonstrates proficient computer skills, especially with MS Office and database applications
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic math skills
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated. Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills (oral & written)
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work around chemicals including enzymes
Culture Index Survey
To apply for a position, please click the “apply” button below and follow instructions to apply through Indeed. After submitting your application, follow the “Fill Out Survey” link below to apply directly to our website application process. This will also include taking the culture index survey. The culture index survey helps with the process of finding great people. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered. Thank you for your consideration.