Job Posting: Quality Control Microbiology Lab Manager
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
The position is responsible for the management of the Microbiology QC Laboratory as well as working as a back-up Microbiologist. Position performs certain administrative functions as directed by the Senior Regulatory and Quality Manager. The position represents the QC Microbiology Laboratory in the absence of the Senior Manager.
This is a Microbiologist position. Must have a minimum of 5 years of Microbiology experience. Prior management experience in manufacturing is preferred.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties:
- Manage/direct work responsibilities of QC Microbiologists as well as prioritize projects and resources.
- Perform standard microbiology testing and enumeration as a back-up for the QC Microbiology staff.
- Review and oversee data and data entries for technical quality and compliance to protocols, methods, and SOPs.
- Authorize retests of production samples based on quality control concerns.
- Ensure that all required equipment is in place and properly functioning.
- Periodically review and visually audit staff to ensure compliance with methods.
- Ensure that all SOPs are in place and up to date in collaboration with the Quality Manager and Microbiology staff.
- Review and oversee the inspection of incoming ingredients for conformance to company standards.
- Directly supervises employees.
- Providing leadership and support to multiple employees in a positive and encouraging manner to motivate the team with drive, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring employees; evaluate the performance of assigned personnel, monitor performance action plans for employees, improve operational efficiencies by focusing on customer service and maximizing production and profit; will direct workflow; maintain harmony in the workplace and professional business demeanor at all times.
Additional Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Assist Senior Management in strategic planning, budgeting, and new capabilities development. Makes recommendations on process improvement and fosters a GMP culture.
- Utilize technical knowledge to help identify the root cause of process or product failures in non-conformances related to fermentation, blending, and packaging operations.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food and feed industry issues and trends.
- Oversees and maintains the Change Control Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements
- BS degree in Bacteriology, Microbiology, or Biology
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a manufacturing setting, preferably food or beverage
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a quality control microbiologist
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience post-college
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge
- Knowledge of cGMPs
- A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of food safety requirements
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Takes initiative to identify and respond to critical situations
- Strong oral and written language skills.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to adapt and learn in a changing work environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards.
- Ability to lift or move 50 lbs. or more on occasion
Typical Work Environment
- This position requires working in both an office, production floor, and a laboratory setting.
- Some job responsibilities require using chemicals, high-pressure laboratory systems, biological materials, and toxic chemicals.
Culture Index Survey
In order to be considered for any position at MDG, we ask that you complete a Culture Index Survey. This survey helps with the process of finding great people who are a mutual fit. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered.
Other Key Resources
- MDG Facility Tour
- HACCP Food Ingredient Certification
- Under the Microscope: Katie Pernic
- Under the Microscope: Nicole DeGeorge