Job Posting: Plant Engineer
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
The Plant Engineer assures that equipment used in the day to day manufacturing and blending of bioaugmentation products is performing in optimal condition and actively participates in the implementation of new equipment and processes.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
Ensure the proper operation of the following plant equipment:
- Bioreactors (fermentation vessels)
- Refrigeration Equipment
- Freeze Dryers
- Spray Dryers
- Air Compressors
- Pin Mills / Grinders
Other duties include:
- Troubleshoots and isolates equipment problems (mechanical and electrical)
- Works with maintenance personnel to implement repairs while minimizing impact to production
- Establishes and adheres to a preventive maintenance schedule
- Documents all maintenance and repair activities
- Interpret, understand, and assist in the development of technical documents such as P&ID, Equipment Lists, Logic Diagrams, and Schematics.
- Coordinate with outside mechanical and electrical contractors to perform work outside of MDG core competencies
- Oversee installation and commissioning of new plant floor equipment
- Integrate existing standalone equipment into corporate network for the purpose of remote monitoring and control
- Perform PLC and HMI software updates when required
- Generate documentation such as User Requirements Specification, Functional Specifications, Hardware Design Specifications, and Software Design Specifications for new MDG projects
- Develop an interface to collect production data to a network database (Access or SQL Server)
- Work closely with the Quality Control department to assure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Evaluate current and emerging technologies for possible use at MDG
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned
Job Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Chemical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in installing and maintaining plant floor mechanical and electrical systems
- Manufacturing, fermentation or chemical product operations experience highly desirable
- Keen troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Experience with industrial equipment such as steam generators, refrigeration, and air compressors
- Knowledge of industrial components and instrumentation
- Knowledge of industrial computer systems, PLC’s, HMI’s, motor controls, and power technologies
- Knowledge of specialized equipment such as bioreactors, centrifuges, and freeze dryers is desired
- AutoCAD familiarity
- Demonstrates proficient computer skills, especially with MS Office and database applications
- Expertise with biotechnology operations including fermentation and CIP/SIP is preferred
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic math skills
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated; ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills (oral & written)
- Ability to work well with others
- Shift: Primarily 1st shift, but can be variable depending on equipment need. Occasional weekend work.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work around chemicals including enzymes
- Regularly required to sit or stand and move about the facility
- Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, fumes, and odors
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Typical Work Environment
- The plant environment, not temperature controlled. Working around steam, mechanical systems, pressure points, chemicals, power distribution, and other potential hazards.
Culture Index Survey
To apply for a position, please click the “apply” button below and follow instructions to apply through Indeed, please then also copy and paste the link below to apply directly to our website application process. This will also include taking the culture index survey. The culture index survey helps with the process of finding great people. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered. Thank you for your consideration.