Job Posting: Fermentation Microbiologist I
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
The primary function or purpose of this entry-level position is to complete a wide variety of moderately complex research and experimentation procedures.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
- Maintain strain libraries and cryogenic vials and develop ways to improve collection
- Prepare and maintain inventory on inoculum for large scale production
- Perform DNA extractions and run gel electrophoresis of samples to check for purity
- Work with the Process Development team to evaluate different fermentation media in laboratory scale fermentors
- Prioritize time to maintain project deadlines and customer samples analysis turnaround
- Perform routine lab duties and equipment maintenance
- Maintain lab database, SOPs, and protocols
- Analyze and interpret testing results and create suggestions, follow-up actions, and conclusions
- Develop, evaluate and implement protocol improvements
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity
- Perform related work and other duties, as assigned
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field or equivalent professional experience
- Broad knowledge involving laboratory techniques or other specialized knowledge is desired
Relevant Job Experience
- 1-3 years of laboratory experience in a microbiological or biochemical research field or related area.
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge
- Know and use good laboratory practices and experimental procedures.
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents.
- Knowledge of microbiology techniques, terminology, equipment, and supplies.
- Requires strong analytical ability.
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities
- Champion of our cultural values
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills
- Ability to maintain records accurately
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to operate a personal computer with capabilities to utilize Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Ability to work around chemicals, including enzymes
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
- Wear proper safety/protective equipment, as required
Typical Work Environment
- This position requires working in both an office and a laboratory setting
- Some job responsibilities require using chemicals, high-pressure laboratory systems, biological materials, and toxic chemicals
Culture Index Survey
In order to be considered for any position at MDG, we ask that you complete a Culture Index Survey. This survey helps with the process of finding great people who are a mutual fit. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered.
Other Key Resources