Job Posting: Biomanufacturing Operator I
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
The Bio-manufacturing Operator I will provide support in the daily operation of the production of spore-forming bacteria (benign), as well as help to clean the facility in the manner required for Good Manufacturing Practices of food and feed ingredients. These activities are the primary responsibility of this job.
Primary Job Responsibilities/Duties
The primary focus of the Operator I is Cleaning and Sanitation of equipment, infrastructure, and grounds. Secondary responsibilities will be assigned to support of the biomanufacturing operations.
- Operates equipment and uses chemicals in a safe manner
- Follows SOPs (standard operating procedures) for all tasks to ensure safe, quality products are manufactured
- Responsible for compliance with the HACCP and GMP programs
- Responsible for accurate documentation on all records
- Support for occasional non-routine work hours
- A willingness to assume additional duties as assigned
- This requires a wide range of knowledge and skills, many of which can be learned on the job.
- Use strong communication and customer service skills to interact with other personnel at the plant
- Perform sanitation of equipment, infrastructure, grounds, and other assigned areas.
- Clean, fill, and sterilize ingredient canisters
- Pack product on pallets and secure for shipping
- Load product on carrier trailers and process shipping documents
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Qualification Requirements
- High School diploma or equivalent, Associates degree or higher is desirable with a focus on fermentation or biomanufacturing.
Relevant Job Experience
- One year or less in manufacturing or sanitation operations
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of basic computer skills
- Operation of forklift is beneficial
- Demonstrates proficiency in basic math skills
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good organization and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively with moderate supervision
- Ability to lift 50 or more pounds periodically
- Ability to work around chemicals including enzymes
- Follow all company safety procedures and safety regulations
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents
- Knowledge of microbiology techniques, terminology, equipment, and supplies
- Basic computer skills, including use of Microsoft Office
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel to analyze data and prepare graphs
- Ability to manage multiple projects and complete them within specified timelines
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions effectively
- Good attention to detail and ability to maintain records accurately
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
Typical Working Conditions
- Regularly required to stand and move about the facility
- Exposure to elements such as noise, dust, fumes, and odors
- Plant environment, not temperature controlled
- Working around bacteria, chemicals, and other potential hazards
Culture Index Survey
In order to be considered for any position at MDG, we ask that you complete a Culture Index Survey. This survey helps with the process of finding great people who are a mutual fit. Please note that those that do not complete the culture index will not be considered.