- Justin Reminger
- December 7, 2021
Microbial Discovery Group is a Bacillus fermentation company focused on the commercialization of microbials for wastewater, bioremediation, aquaculture, consumer and institutional markets while additionally partnering with customers to fulfill their custom fermentation needs. MDG refines and delivers products and ideas by applying Real Science to a Trusted Process, yielding Proven Success.
MDG is currently looking for a highly motivated scientist to become a member of our Fermentation Research and Development team. The individual must be goal-oriented, forward-thinking and self-motivated with a strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other teams. The candidate must possess a strong foundation in optimizing and developing scale-up fermentation processes with specific knowledge of fed-batch strategies, HPLC or related technologies. The ideal candidate must have a strong foundation in microbiology, molecular biology, and/or computational biology. This is predominantly a lab-based role focusing on fundamental research to better understand the biology of our Bacillus and other microbial organisms.
- Develop new or improve existing culture medium for microbial strains.
- Develop new or improve existing fermentation process parameters, such as, fed-batch or other related feeding strategies.
- Develop strategies to improve the overall reliability and productivity of fermentation processes at MDG.
- Collaborate with production, process development and QC teams to identify problems or opportunities for continuous improvements.
- Independently selects techniques and procedures to solve problems within area of responsibility.
- Develop, evaluate and implement detailed experimental projects within area of responsibility.
- Analyze data, draw conclusions, present project results and make recommendations to management team.
- Assists in managing the daily workflow of the laboratory.
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive data with integrity.
- Perform related work and other duties, as assigned.
Job Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of relevant experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Functional and applied knowledge involving laboratory techniques or other specialized knowledge is desired.
Relevant Job Experience:
- Applied and functional knowledge of specialized skillsets such as; high throughput screening methods, scale-up processes, fed-batch fermentation, HPLC, MS-GC, and flow cytometry.
- Previous experience and safety knowledge working with a range of microbial organisms.
Specialized Job/Technical Knowledge:
- Knowledge of effective and safe laboratory and experimental procedures.
- Knowledge of the proper use and preparation of culture media, chemicals, and reagents.
- Knowledge of microbiology techniques, terminology, equipment and supplies.
- Requires strong analytical ability to handle data and results.
- Requires high problem solving and critical thinking skills.
Non-Technical Skills and Abilities:
- Champion of our cultural values.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal/human relations skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions effectively.
- Ability to maintain records accurately.
- Ability to complete projects within specified timelines.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate a personal computer with capabilities to utilize Microsoft Office and Outlook.
Quality and Food Safety
- Work closely with Quality Control (QC) Department to assure compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Compliance with maintaining facility cleanliness
- Responsible for accurate documentation on all records.
Culture Index Survey
To apply for a position, please click the “apply” button below and follow instructions to apply through Indeed. After submitting your application, follow the “Fill Out Survey” link below to apply directly to our website application process. This will also include taking the culture index survey. The culture index survey helps with the process of finding great people. Those who do not complete the culture index will not be considered. Thank you for your consideration.